Diablo 3 Tips and Tricks Compilation by Arthur, Thunderclaww and kallell
Controls and shortcuts:
- You can display the FPS (frames per second) with CTRL+R;
- You change the ALT key behavior (toggle or hold) in the options;
- You can skip the cinematic with ESC followed by ENTER, and the chats with SPACE;
- SPACE also clears the screen;
- You can zoom in your character the Z key;
- At the Auction House, you can right-click the items in the ?Sell? tab and select ?Search for similar items?;
- Right click the gear in your inventory to wear them;
- Hold CTRL while hovering items on the ground to display their tooltips;
- SHIFT+CLICK items with the chat text box open will make a link to it;
- Hold ALT while hovering rings and weapons to display the tooltip for the gear in the other hand;
- Currently there?s no way to hide your UI (like you do in other games);
- The numpad keys will make your character say things like ?Thank you?, ?Wait? and ?Let?s go?;
- You can hit the G key to drop your banner and signalize to your party ? it will blink in mini-map;
Options and preferences:
- If you want to avoid attacking and picking things up when you?re trying to move, there?s a ?Force move? key that is unbound in control options;
- Turn off ?Quick Join? in the options, this way your friends will have to request an invite or be invited to join you;
- Enable ?Advanced tooltips? in the options to display more information on skills without holding CTRL;
- ?Elective Mode? in options allows you to bind any skill to any one of the skill buttons (1-4);
- If you use NVIDIA there?s this guide ? http://goo.gl/EOYuB ? to improve the graphics;
- Turn off ?Show quest dialogue in chat? so you don?t miss what the other players are saying;
- Turning on ?Letterbox? in options will allow you to play in 16:10 even if you have a 16:9 monitor ? this means more horizontal visibility;
- Bind ?Close all windows? to scroll up/down ? this way you can flick the mouse scroll to fast forward the quest dialogues;
Gameplay tricks and mechanics:
- Every player has its own drops and gold, but Health Globes, shrines and shrinks are shared;
- Dual wielding does not stack damage, but improves attack speed ? you also alternate the attacking between hands so the damage still counts;
- At the very beginning of Act 3, after you talk to Tyrael, press T to use the portal, it?s quickier than walk all the way to the town;
- Pages of Jewelcraft and Blacksmith can be exchanged by their respective tomes in a ratio of 10:1;
- Also, tomes can be exchanged to Tome of Secrets in the same ratio. They?re all used to craft gear and gems;
- Followers will level up with you and they also have their own skills to be chosen
- When identifying many items, you can click the next just before the current progress is over;
- As a Barbarian, after exiting Leoric?s Mansion you can Leap all the way down to Halls of Agony entrance;
- CTRL + Mousing over an item on the ground (outside of inventory) shows stats so you aren?t forced it up. Doing this while having your inventory open should compare the item on the ground to what you currently are wearing as well.
- The numpad keys are used to have your character say stuff in game. You will make someone?s day if you hit NUM_3 after being revived. Try it out! (There are also unbound voice options in the game options)
- There is a ?force move? button labeled ?Move? and is unbound by default. This is helpful for running through packs of monsters and not accidentally clicking and attacking one. I personally use one of the mouse side buttons so it?s easily accessible. R is also
- You can link items by bringing up the chat text box and shift+clicking an item, making it easier to show items to people to see if they need them or if you?re in different areas.
- If you think you have an upgrade for someone you?re playing with, instead of asking them you can inspect them by right clicking their icon on the top-left.
- Whites/grays sell for next to nothing and really aren?t worth the inventory space outside of the first act, just toss that junk for less town trips.
- Check the prices of exquisite essences on the Auction House; if they are selling for a decent amount you can pick up ilvl 61-63 blues that are worth very little and make a little bit of profit.
- You can hold left click to run around and simply tap shift to ?stutter walk? fire instead of clicking the mouse (holding shift and casting will make you cast the ability in place,), works well for ranged characters to give your clicking finger a bit of a break.
- If you?ve got a big friends list and don?t want people to join your game without your permission, or just want to play alone, there?s an option to disallow ?Quick Join? under social options which is what makes your game show up with a ?Join? button for friends
- If you hold ALT it will compare to your off-hand/equip to your off-hand, while in inventory of course. Handy for dual-wielders. Also works on rings.
- Pressing ?alt? will make items on the ground show their names for 10 seconds. The time can be adjusted in the options menu.
- Turn on Elective mode in your options (off by default). It allows you to use any skill in any slot. Required if you want to optimize your build.
- Turn on Advanced tool-tips (off by default). Shows advanced skill information such as % damage increase and what the skill does.
- While each player gets their own loot and gold drops, the health globes you pick up are shared and will heal other players if they are nearby. Make sure to pick them up to heal your party in the time of need!
- Hitting ?g? will make your banner fly down wherever your mouse is pointing at. Easy way to signal something to your players.
- Hitting ?f? will bring up your follower?s inventory. Don?t forget to choose their skills and give them equipment! You can respec your follower at anytime with no cost by right-clicking on their portrait.
- The shift key allows you to stand still while you attack and is very useful for certain skills. You can rebind it in the options.
- Pressing ?Z? zooms in on your character.
- You must get at least one character to at least level 10 in softcore before you unlock Hardcore.
- Your Battletag is what is going to show up in game to your friends. As of now, character names really do not matter outside of the character select screen and in game dialog with NPCs. Pick a battletag that?s easily remembered and that you wouldn?t mind others seeing!
- Once they are hit, treasure goblins will disappear if they are not killed fast enough. Make sure once you see them start running, they become a priority as they can drop vast amounts of gold and loot.
- Gems in game can drop up to flawless squares. Any past that have to be crafted or bought from the AH.
- You only get 20% of your companion?s Magic Find, Gold Find, and +Experience.
- You don?t level up crafting by crafting items, only by ranking up the crafter.
- Monster scaling (HP) depends on the difficulty (normal, nightmare, hell, inferno), players in game, and monster power. You will not get more exp per monsters the more players you have in the game. You do however, gain killing speed ? theoretically farming monsters faster which in turn gives more exp and loot.
- If you fall behind or wander off away from your party, use your town portal (T) and click their banner to quickly catch up.
- If you want more of a challenge, enable monster power in the Gameplay options to choose your difficulty.
- To find out more about the infernal machine, go here.
- If you are playing with friends and you get disconnected, you can reconnect to the same game and keep your nephalem valor stacks.
- If you are having technical issues, make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date. If you are still having issues; check out the official tech support forum. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386227/
- Dual wielding gives 15% attack speed bonus but it?s important to have two weapons of fairly equal DPS or else your overall DPS may drop. That?s because you alternate hitting with each weapon. Certain skills only calculate raw weapon damage from your main-hand weapon.
- The best magic finding will be from killing elite packs around Sanctuary rather than simply boss farming (unlike D2). Every rare pack you kill, you gain a Nephalem Valor buff (up to 5) which increases your gold find, magic find, and bonus experience by 15%. Switching skills removes this buff. Only kicks in after level 60.
- You can re-assign the 1234 keys to QWER (good for MOBA players).
- Press ?V? to show hit point bars of every individual monster.
- Each vendor sells specific types of items that are generated when the game is created. If you want different items then remake the game.
- Activating ?Letterbox? mode in options will allow you to play in 16:10 if you have a 16:9 monitor. This means you will have more horizontal visibility.
- You can change the tab icons in your stash by right clicking them.
- There are two types of auction houses. RMAH and Gold AH. Gold sounds exactly like what it is. Sell and buy items off the AH with in game gold. With RMAH, you have two options. Send money straight to paypal or use ?Battle.net Balance?. If you choose to use battle bucks, the money will reside in your BNet account and can be used for other AH purchases, or blizzard merchandise. You CANNOT cash this out. If you intend on getting cash for items, be sure to go the paypal route.
- Right-clicking an item in the auction house allows you to quickly find similar items, making it easier to give an item a price.
-For items, Blizzard charges $1 + 15% transfer fee to PayPal.
-For commodities, Blizzard charges 15% for the item itself, and another 15% transfer fee to PayPal.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $0.30 + 2.9% paypal fee
- (Sale Price ? 1)*(1-Blizzard to Paypal Transfer Fee) = Profit
- (Sale Price ? 1)*(1-.15) = Profit
- Commodities (Crafting materials, gems, and gold)
- (Sale Price)(1-Blizzard Commodities Fee)(1-Blizzard to Paypal Transfer Fee) = Profit
- (Sale Price)(1-.15)(1-.15) = Profit
EXP chart basics:
- If the level difference between two players is less than 5, there is no experience penalty.
- If the level difference between two players is between 5-10, there is a 5% experience small penalty.
- If the level difference between two players is more than 10, you?ll only receive 5% experience (95% penalty)
- You only get ?bonus? exp from monsters at most 6 levels below you.
- You gain increased (over 100% by default) exp by killing monsters up to 3 levels above you.