In order to help myself improve I started to watch and aggregate a large amount of Soldier 76 information this season. I had played soldier quite a bit before, but after doing my placements almost exclusively with him and noticing the carry potential I decided to finally add soldier to the list of heroes I was comfortable calling my mains (now, Ana, Rein, dva, Soldier; formerly, Hog).
This is the result of organizing and formatting all that information. More is welcome and I will update this post if others post valuable links and information
For absolute beginners I always reccomend youtube channels like OW Dojo, KarQ, Mindfuzz, Skyline, and iOstux; I credit theGetting Good at OW series by iOstux as what helped me transition from a console pleb to a competent PC OW player. Additionally, many of the videos I will adding here are applicable to many different heroes, not just 76.
- Mid-long range weapon, generally fire in short 3-4 round bursts. Close range full auto.
- Useful for engaging and disengaging. Proper positioning is essential and when used properly this movement skill can be the difference between winning and losing almost any dual.
- OW Dojo’s Engage and Disengage video is essential for an effective Soldier 76.
- 120 Direct, ~80 splash, 8s cooldown
- Burst Damage Projectile. CANNOT be wasted. Finish off enemies quickly with direct burst or splash from around a corner/shield etc.
- Also very useful for advanced movement. Helix jumps for various maps are below.
- Fight swinging ultimate. Most useful in team fights, not for use in 1v1s as long cast time and you become very vulnerable to stuns.
There are plenty of Soldier 76 guides out there, here are a few useful ones.
- Warm up and Drills (Includes useful animation cancels)
- Bourne’s Warmup Guide
- Skyline VOD review highlighting some bad aiming habits
- KarQ’s Aim Training Presets and Sensitivity Guide
- Skyline’s Overwatch Economy guide: Part 1 and Part 2
- Reddit post about Soldier 76 Ult Usage and management
Most of these are more general and not soldier specific, but are full of useful information nonetheless. General rule is gain high ground whenever possible, use angles and chokes to mitigate incoming damage while dishing lots out, and know when to engage/disengage using your sprint and rocket jump abilities.
ioStux on Attacking Hanamura
Lunar Colony: Horizon [Needed]
ioStux on Attacking Kings Row
Rocket Jumps (GUIDE)
- Kings Row
- Temple of Anubis
- Route 66
1v1s and Duals
- ioStux self Review on Volskaya
- Mind Fuzz Gold Soldier on Numbani
- Omnic Sage Diamond Soldier on Gibraltar
- Skyline’s Vod Review focusing on Engaging
Pro’s and Streamers to Watch