World of Warcraft Pet Battles Guide?by Vutter
Do you want to be the very best? The best that ever was? The best?
Pokemon trainerPet Battler in all of WoW? Well I?m here to help you get started! You can go from knowing absolutely nothing and having no leveled pets to beating the Celestial Tournament in 2-3 weeks at most.
I. There?s lots of reasons to do Pet Battles!
- More companion pets! Including rare & cool-looking ones
- Lots of Achievements! Many of which are easy/quick to get
- Lesser Charms of Good Fortune and/or Experience!
- Gold! (not much for time invested? but gold nonetheless!)
- Feed Your Obsession with Collecting All the Things!
II. How do I get started?
First step: download the following add-ons:
Pet Tracker: This is mainly for collecting wild pets. It will put an overlay on your map showing the general spawning locations of every wild pet. It will also add an objective to your objective pane that shows any available pets for the zone you?re in.
Pet Journal Enhanced: lets you sort & filter pets easier
Pet Battle Teams: this will make your life SOOOOO much easier when you get to the Master Tamer section. It saves a custom team of pets (and their ability list) which lets you swap on the fly. Much, much easier than manually picking and choosing pets for each Tamer.
III. Leap-Frogging to Level 25
The hardest part of this whole process is getting your first pet to Level 25. As far as I know, you can?t just buy a Level 25 on the AH? you need to have leveled one to 25 first. Every subsequent pet will be that much easier to level. Eventually you?ll be able to level multiple pets from 1 to 25 in less than an hour. But initially it?s a much, much more grind-y process. Luckily, there are ways to speed it up to take under 3 hours.
The incredibly slow way is to level pets against ones that are within 1-2 levels of your current pet? slowly grinding your way up the chain to 25 over hundreds of battles. That path is stupid. Don?t do that!
You will instead use a sequence of pets that have a Type advantage to leap-frog up the ladder of experience.
- Grind a Mechanical Pet to Level 10. Speed up the grind by doing the early Tamer battles (follow the questline starting in Orgrimmar) to get more XP from the quest reward . Any pet with a Mechanical moveset will do, but ideally get a Rare quality one for best results. If you have a Clockwork Gnome, Darkmoon Zeppelin, Darkmoon Tonk, or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling? use them since you?ll want to level them later anyway.
- Go to Deadwind Pass and battle?Arcane Eyes. These are Level 16-18 Magic type pets, which your Mechanical pet will have an advantage against. As low as Level 10, you should be able to take them down. You want to weaken and capture them. They are also good to fight because Arcane Eyes will always be by themselves? no pesky backup pets to deal with. Your objective is to weaken and capture 3 Arcane Eyes of UNCOMMON OR RARE quality. NOTE: They are above ground?near Karazhan. If you?re not near Karazhan, you won?t see them. They also tend to spawn more frequently during night hours. See the?WoWhead?s spawn map?for details.
- Now comes the hard part: Go to Dragonblight and look for?Dragonebone Hatchlings?(buzzards hanging around skeletons north of Wyrmrest Temple). These are Level 21-24 Flying type pets, which your Arcane Eyes will have a Type advantage against. The problem is they?ll always have 2 backup pets, which can and will fuck you over sometimes. Keep fighting and capturing until you have at least two Uncommon (preferably Rare) Dragonbone Hatchlings.
- Easy mode:?Slaughter Aquatics in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Take your Flying Pets, go to Vale of Eternal Blossoms, and fight the Eternal Striders and other Aquatic type pets all along the destroyed riverbed (TONS of them? and less competition? near Mistfall Village). Your Flying Pets will destroy these with ease.
- Congrats,?you now have at least one Level 25 pet!
(this is all covered by this guide, if you don?t like my writing style:http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1865/leveling-your-first-battle-pets-in-a-day-5-4-0)
IV. Leveling Other Pets (the faster but still grindy way)
Now that you have your Level 25 Flyer, you can use it to quickly power-level another pet to 25 much faster. Simply go to Vale of Eternal Blossoms, put the ?carry pet? in the first slot, fight the Aquatics? the Aquatics normally just do a self-heal (for 0 HP?) as their first move. So you don?t have to worry about the pet dying. You let the carry pet attack, then swap to your Flyer. Kill the Aquatic team with your Flyer, and your carry pet will get ALL the XP (because the Flyer is Level 25 already). You?ll quickly get to ~ Level 18 and not too much longer until 25.
Repeat process as-needed. I recommend Leveling these pets as a priority:
- Crow?(or?Gilnean Raven) [Crow is a wild pet found in Darkmoon Faire; Gilnean Raven is a 1-time purchase for any Worgen character]
- Terrible Turnip?(rare drop from Tiller Farm)
- Anubisath Idol?(drop from Twin Emperors in AQ40)
- Emerald Proto-Whelp?(get an Uncommon or Rare from Sholozar Basin? P/P or P/S are the ideal breeds to have, but not critical)
You want the Crow/Raven for grinding Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Terrible Turnip for capturing Wild Pets, and Anubisith Idol & Emerald Proto-Whelp for defeating the Master Tamers.
V. Tamer Questline
The best way to level Pets is by doing the Master Tamer and Pandaren Spirit dailies. You can raise two to four pets a day from Level 1 to 25 (even more if you optimize your routine). To unlock them, you need to go through the full Pet Battle Tamer questline, defeating 20+ Tamers around the World? of Warcraft. You can completely annihilate most of the early teams with any Level 25, but things will get tougher when you hit the Tamers in Outlands.
All Tamers have a static team of pets, so you may need to level pets with a type advantage to best counter them. I recommend you to level Anubasith Idol & Emerald Proto-Whelp first, because they can cheese their way through most of the Tamers. If you still can?t defeat them, then level a specific type-advantage Pet for that battle. You want to get to unlock the Pandaria Master Tamers ASAP to quickly level Pets.
VI. Pandaria Master Tamers, Pandaren Spirits, & Beasts of Fable
Once you unlock the Pandaria Master Tamers, you can defeat ALL of them using only two pets: Anubasith Idol and Emerald Proto-Whelp. Follow this move-by-move guide to defeat them all AND level a 3rd pet at the same time. These 2 pets can also defeat 3 of the 4 Pandaren Spirits (you?ll need a Snail and a Darkmoon Zeppelin for Thundering Spirit). Note: CHOOSE PANDAREN WATER SPIRIT AS YOUR REWARD THE FIRST TIME YOU DO THE SPIRITS.
These two pets will get the job done, but you?ll want to level and optimize the pets used in this guide to make your routine quicker, easier, and more consistent (Anubisith Idol misses 30% of the time and RNG WILL fuck you over semi-regularly when using him).
Additionally, you?ll want to be doing the Beast of Fable quests each day. These are easy to cheese if you level two new pets:?Pandaren Water Spirit?and?Chrominius. Pandaren Water Spirit can drop from the Flowing Spirit daily (or you can choose it as your reward the first time you do all 4). Chrominius is a drop from Blackwing Lair.
You?ll want to level up additional pets to have optimized teams for each of the Beasts of Fable, but those two can take care of most of them on their own. See the link above for details.
VII. Speed Leveling for Badasses
You want three things: Safari Hat, Lesser Pet Treats, and Pet Treats.
Beast of Fable quests reward?Lesser Pet treats. When used on a pet, they give your character a buff for an hour, increasing all pet experience gains by 30%. Use these before you do your daily routine.
If you?ve done all the Pandaria Master Tamers, you?re very close to getting?Taming Azeroth, rewarding the?Safari Hat?and the title ?Tamer?. To complete the Achievement, you?ll need to get on a cross-faction alt and fight one or more of the Tamers specific to their side. That will get you the 40 you need. Just do one of the easy ones in Westfall or Redridge Mountains. Safari Hat, when worn, increases pet experience gains by an additional 10%. There are add-ons that will automatically equip it before battles so you never forget to put it on (or swap back to your normal helm).
Pet Treats?are something you can buy with reward currency from the Celestial Tournament. They boost XP gained by even MORE than the Lesser Pet Treat, and they stack together! At maximum buff, you get close to double XP for your pets!
So the idea from here on out is to pick the pets you want to level for the day, put on your Safari Hat, use a Lesser Pet Treat, do one to three battles in Vale of Eternal Blossoms vs. wild aquatics to get the pet to Level 6 ? 10, and then carry them through some of the Master Tamers until Level 24-25.
EDIT:?SpriteMonkey?had a great suggestion about using Veiled Stair and a Beast pet with Devour to quickly cap out many Level 23-24 pets in a short amount of time.
- The Master Tamer pets sometimes do AoE damage to your back row, which can kill Level 1-5 pets,
- The pet experience gains work on a curve such that a Level 10-16 pet gets more XP from a battle than one below 10 or one above 16,
- You don?t want to waste an entire fight?s XP on a Level 24, so you stop there and grind in Vale for the last level.
VIII. What is Worth Fighting For?
Ultimately, the two ?end-game? goals of Pet Battles are the Celestial Tournament, and PvP.
For the Celestial Tournament, this is BY FAR the most comprehensive guide out there. It contains a variety of alternative team makeups for each Tamer in the Tournament, and step-by-step instructions for each fight. You literally can?t lose if you have the right pets:
Can?t help you much with PvP, but there are team guides on YouTube and forums such as:?http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/
IX. Collect Them All & Other Tips
Collect all the Wild Pets for?World Safari?(Zookeeper title). Some pets only spawn in specific weather conditions, or are super rare spawns. May want to check quickly after Server Maintenance, or park alts in their spawn areas and check in every so often.
Leave a low level alt parked in Shrine and turn in the Beast of Fable quests each day with that toon. In full heirlooms, you can gain levels fairly quickly (every 1-3 days) just by doing those turn-ins. Better than getting a measly amount of Valor and some Lesser Charms IMO.
You should save Battle Stones for pets you need for the Tamers, Tournament, or PvP because you want them to be Rare. Afterwards, use them on pets that do not appear as Rare or are hard to obtain as Rare. See this guide:?Optimize Battle Stone usage guide
X. Closing Words
Thanks for reading my guide and I hope you enjoy building your collection of rare and powerful pets!